Filtering content ...
Login and password
When you begin to study or work at our University, you need to register for a central login name, with which you get access to the most important IT services such as Wifi, E-Mail and Stud.IP.
Wifi and networks
Once you have your login data, you get access to the eduroam network from all across the University campus. Eduroam provides you with fast and secure internet access through a worldwide coalition of educational and scientific institutes. Once installed, you can also access the internet at other Universities - even internationally.
Email and Calendar
All students and employees will get a university e-mail address. This secure e-mail service is used for internal university correspondence.
Every student automatically receives an email address of the University with his or her computer center login (format: email@example.com)
The e-mail address is used for all university-related (e.g. examinations, dates etc.).
To make sure you don't miss any information, you can redirect all emails to your private email address.
With which e-mail software can I edit my e-mails offline (e.g. on the road) and use other groupware functions (calendar sharing, appointment invitations, etc.)? Here you will find instructions for configuring MS Outlook, Thunderbird, emClient, Android and iOS.
Every member of the university can apply for a personal email certificate which can be used to
- encrypt (only the recipient can read the email) and
- sign (the recipient can ensure that the email comes from the sender and has not been changed)
The university checks and guarantees the authenticity of the certificate.
Working on the go
You can use the VPN access of the Faculty of Engineering to access the following services from outside the university network. For example, from home, on the road or from the WLAN of the university, as the WLAN is also considered an external network.
- Access to your home drive (drive U:)
- Access to faculty internal resources (e.g. file shares, servers)
- Use of the university library catalogues
Students who are living in the residential homes (Bürgermeister-Hauptstr. and Friedrich-Wolf-Str) are authorized for internet access through the Cisco Any Connect VPN Client. That's why you can not connect a second vpn tunnel with our Fortinet Client at the same time, because technical two parallel vpn tunnels are not viable.
Virtual computers are Windows 10 desktops that you can use from anywhere, 24/7.
- Access to desktops within the faculty from anywhere (pool computers, own workstations)
- the desktops are already equipped with the usual software used in your area (BIW, EUI, MVU, SF)
- the desktops are maintained by FIW-IT (e.g. current Windows updates)
- Access to all internal resources (e.g. file shares)
- no VPN connection necessary
- automatic data backup and hourly snapshots when using the faculty's internal resources
- Your data does not leave the data center
The Wings provides the distance students of the courses of study
- Bachelor IT Forensics
- Master IT Security and Forensics
- Master Information Technology and Management
virtual computers via the VMWare Horizon platform. This gives you access to Windows 10 desktops that are already equipped with the licensed software you need for your studies from anywhere.
How can I use the virtual machines?
With the Citrix-Portal-Neptun, the Wismar Business School offers you access to the relevant applications and desktops for teaching and working. Access to the applications or desktops is via a browser, it is independent of the operating system and no client installation is required.
You work from anywhere as if you were on campus.
With the VPN access of the Wismar Business School you have the possibility to access the IT services of the Faculty and the University of Wismar via a secure connection. A browser-based (WebVPN) and a client-based (FortiClient) VPN access is available for this purpose.
Use the Citrix-Portal-Neptun (Citrix Store) for searches (Statista, Juris, BeckOnline etc.), applications or desktops via browser, independent of operating system and device. You work from anywhere as if you were on campus.
Software and licensing
The Citavi software is available to students and staff as a literature management and research program.
When writing scientific texts, such as papers, theses, books, etc., use the free campus license of the university.
General information about the software can be found on the Citavi homepage: www.citavi.de
After successful registration the software can be downloaded here: www.citavi.com/hs-wismar
"DATEV Students online" is available free of charge to all students and university teachers at www.datev.de/students
- select the University of Applied Sciences Wismar in the upper right corner
- Login - with the university access data
E-mails are checked centrally and automatically by a mail virus scanner.
The IT Service and Media Centre also provides free antivirus software to protect against viruses. It can also be used as an app on Android devices.
With Microsoft Imagine Premium you can get the following software free of charge for educational purposes:
- Windows 10 EDU
- Windows 7 Professional
- Visual Studio
- Windows Server
- SQL Server
Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus is available for students of the University of Wismar via a campus contract for an administration fee of 4.99 € / year. Office can be installed on up to 5 devices.
- Matlab (available via virtual desktops)
- AgiSoft Photoscan Pro (available via virtual desktops) - Contact: Dr. Rabe
- LupoScan (available via virtual desktops) - Contact: Dr. Rabe
- California Pro (available via virtual desktops)
- EliteCAD (available via virtual desktops)
- Kostenplaner (available via virtual desktops)
- BRZ (available via virtual desktops)
- Software BAUWI (available via virtual desktops)
- Nextbau (available via virtual desktops)
- DBD-Kostensätze (available via virtual desktops)
- Solibri Model Checker (available via virtual desktops)
- Visual Studio (available via virtual desktops)
- MS Project (available via virtual desktops)
- MB Projectmanager (available via virtual desktops)
- AutoCAD (available via virtual desktops)
- AutoDesk ReCap (available via virtual desktops)
- Matlab (available via virtual desktops)
- Visual Studio (available via virtual desktops)
- Cadence OrCAD (available via virtual desktops)
- Digital Simulator (available via virtual desktops)
- EAGLE (available via virtual desktops)
- IntelliJ IDEA (available via virtual desktops)
- LTSpice (available via virtual desktops)
- Postgres DB (available via virtual desktops)
- PSoc Design Suite (available via virtual desktops)
- Scope (available via virtual desktops)
- Visual DSP (available via virtual desktops)
- Android Entwicklungsumgebung (available via virtual desktops)
- PSpice Entwicklungsumgebung (available via virtual desktops)
- Autodesk Product Design Suite
- 3ds Max
- Creo (available via virtual desktops)
- LabVIEW (available via virtual desktops)
- BioProcess Trainer
- Comsol Multiphysics
- AVL Cruise (available via virtual desktops)
Contact for this software is Mostafa Maslama
In addition to the standard software, the following software is available. Use the Citrix-Portal-Neptun (Citrix-Store) or our computerpools to use the software.
- PTV Route Optimiser
The most important platform in everyday student life serves to organise and design courses. It enables and standardises online communication between lecturers and students at our university. For example, events, dates and changes are announced here, as well as scripts, exercises and trial exams. In addition, the platform covers large parts of internal communication – for example via wikis, forums and news as well as through additional offers such as bulletin boards and carpooling.
You can use the following services via the LSF (Lehre-Studium-Forschung) portal:
- Exam registration
- Overview of grades / certificate of achievement
- Study and matriculation certificates
- Editing contact data
- Employees: Planning of events and rooms
- Employees: Input of examination performances
The WINGS E-Learning platform supports distance learning students in many ways during their studies. Current information about your program, the individual curricula, all semester documents, teaching videos, recordings of online seminars, dates, grades and much more information is made available via this platform. Please contact your course coordinator to inform you about the special features of your degree programme.
Telephony and video conferencing
The Wismar University of Applied Sciences provides a central video conferencing and streaming service for all relatives. It offers the possibility to communicate via audio and video regardless of location. Up to 120 people can use it to get together online via an encrypted, stable connection. External guests without a university account can be easily invited.
BigBlueButton is an OpenSource software and is licensed under a LGPL license.
Virtual classrooms using BigBlueButton have a rich feature set, such as desktop sharing and presentation of files (e.g. Microsoft Office documents, Open Office documents, PDF documents), markers or notes directly in the document (e.g. pointer, zoom function and marker function), chat with all participants and private chats, recordings etc.
Access to the application is via your course in StudIP with the "Meetings" module activated.
Microsoft Teams is a component of the Office365 Education Program and is therefore available to the university free of charge. With Teams we have a professional collaboration software for teaching, in which we can hold online lectures or meetings with up to 250 participants per meeting in the first step.
In virtual classrooms, participants can collaborate and interact effectively thanks to the wide range of functions. Everything is possible, from small meetings to online seminars with up to 200 participants.
The University of Wismar provides a central video conferencing and streaming service for all of its members. It offers the possibility to communicate via audio and video independent of location and without the installation of any software. Up to 23 people can currently use this service to meet online in a video conference via an encrypted, stable connection. External guests without a university account can easily be invited.
Storage and Backup
Wismar University provides storage space for all students (5 GB) and staff (10 GB), which you can automatically synchronise on your devices (PC, Android, iOS) and share with other people as required. The functionality is similar to a dropbox. However, your data is stored on the server of the university in Germany.
A drive for personal data (Windows drive U:) is available for employees and students of the FIW faculty. The drive has an initial capacity of 10 GB for employees and 2 GB for students. The storage space can be increased if required.
A snapshot freezes the data state at a certain point in time. This means that you can access your data at a certain point in time as the data looked at that point in time.
Snapshots are currently available for all "Personal Drives" and the FIW's central data shares.
Snapshots are also a good protection against the usual Crypto Trojans like "Locky" and Co.
Storage space for special purposes (e.g. as common data storage for project groups etc.) is provided on request. It is possible to display the memory automatically for certain groups of people and access control can also be group-based.
After registering with their personal university account on a Windows computer, all students and employees of the Faculty of Economic Sciences automatically receive the drive H:.
You can also mount this Windows share on the Linux terminal server Rivera.