Frequently asked questions for studys

Study organisation

Where do I find applications and forms?

You can find applications and forms in house 21 behind the Servicetower or online. (Unfortunately these are available only in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

Do I have a university e-mail address?

Yes. Your e-mail address consists of your name like: Please check your e-mails daily. You get important information from the university via this e-mail address.

See also this video.


How can I check my university e-mails?

You can use two e-mail services:

See also this video about forwarding mails.

How can I use GroupOffice?

Before you can log onto GroupOffice, you have to activate it in the Users Management System. Login with your username and password. Click on “Groupware Activation” and then on “Accept terms of use”.

What is re-registration?

If you want to study next semester at the university of Wismar you have to re-register. That means you pay the term contribution via bank transfer.

Click here for further information.

What is LSF/HiO?

Students can use the online portals LSF and HisInOne (HIO) to register for exams and to print out certificates of study and transcripts of achievement. Furthermore, students can edit their master data here.

Currently we are in a transition phase. In the future, LSF will be completely replaced by HIO.

How can I download my study report?

[Translate to English:]

You will find your certificate of study on the online portal LSF. Log in there with your user name and password. Click on "Study administration" and then on "Study certificates".

There are only a few exceptions:
Students in some programs already receive their academic certificates at Log in with your user name and password. In the menu item "My studies", go to "Study service". Here you will find all available certificates.

You will have to pay for study certificates from previous semesters. Therefore, you should print out at least one certificate yourself each semester.

Where do I find the course directory?

[Translate to English:]

You can find the course catalog on the online portals LSF and HIO. There you log in with your user name and password and click on "Events" at the top. Here you will find, among other things, the lecture directory and the course schedules. If you click on "Vorlesungsverzeichnis", you only have to choose your faculty and your study program. Then you will be shown all courses of the semester.

Make sure that you see the correct semester in the upper right corner (e.g. SoSe 2019). If not, adjust it by selection.

What is Stud.IP?

The most important platform in everyday student life is used to organize and design courses. It enables and standardizes online communication between teachers and students at our university. For example, events, dates and changes are announced here, but also scripts, exercises and mock exams are posted. Furthermore, additional services such as a bulletin board and carpooling can be found here.

Weitere Informationen

How do I find courses on Stud.IP?

Log in to Stud.IP with your user name and password. Click on the magnifying glass symbol (search) and then on the search in the course catalog. Select your faculty and your course of study. All courses will be displayed.

More Information

How can I forward messages from Stud.IP to my e-mail address?

Yes, Stud.IP sends every message also to your university e-mail address by default. If you do not want this, log in to Stud.IP with your user name and password. Click on "Settings" (gearwheel symbol in the upper right corner), then on "Messages" and select the item "Send copy of received messages to own e-mail address" and change this item as you wish. Confirm your entry by clicking on the "Apply" button.

To forward the e-mails from the university e-mail address to your private e-mail address, please read the answer to the question "How can I forward the university e-mails to my private e-mail address?".

More Information

Stud.IP messages will be sent to you at the e-mail address stored in Stud.IP. This is your university e-mail address. For instructions on how to forward the e-mails from this e-mail address to your private e-mail address, please read the answer to the question "How can I forward the university e-mails to my private e-mail address?".

Here you can find the instructions as a video (from minute 01:03).

What is ILIAS?

ILIAS is the university's central e-learning platform. Here, for example, learning modules, tests for self-testing, wikis and teaching videos are provided.

More Information

Where do I find the study and examination regulations?

You can download your examination and study regulations here. (Unfortunately they’re only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

What are tutors?

Tutors are some kind of student assistants. They’re students who study and work at the university. They give tutorials and help other students.

The tutors of the International Office are the contact persons for all questions regarding studies and everyday life. They help with exam preparation or contact with authorities (e.g. the Foreigners' Registration Office). For foreign students they are the best contact person. You can register in the Stud.IP event MEDUS to contact them directly.


How can I download my exams extract (overview of marks)?

For students who have already been transitioned to the new campus management system, performance summaries are available here.
Log in with your user name and password. In the menu item "My studies", go to "Study services". Here you will find all available certificates.

Students who are not yet in the new campus management system can find the performance overviews at LSF-Study-Portal.
Log in there with your user name and password. Click on "Exam administration" and then on "Exam certificates (performance overview - pdf for printing)". There you have different grade overviews to choose from, e.g. with additional texts or only for passed exams.

You can also download your study certificate as a PDF file here. You can also get the certificates at the Servicepoint. Study certificates from previous semesters are subject to a fee, so print out a certificate in reserve in the current semester as well.

Which university programmes are offered to international students?
  • Degree courses
  • Direct studies - our Bachelor's and Master's Degree courses
  • Studienkolleg – Foundation Course
  • University programmes for exchange students
  • International Class
  • German course
Do I have to register for examinations?

Yes. You must register for all exams you wish to write during the semester. If you do not register, you will not be allowed to write the exam. You can only register for exams within the exam registration period. This is announced by the university (e.g. via news on the homepage or as an e-mail to your university e-mail address).

Most students do their registration online at HiO-Portal.

There are only a few exceptions:
Students in some degree programs please register for exams at LSF-Study-Portal.

Students in the program "Communication Design and Media (Diploma)" as well as Design (Diploma) can register online at LSF during their undergraduate studies. In the main studies, however, the registration is done via the corresponding forms (house 1 room 150).

What is iTAN?

You need the iTAN (indexed transaction number) for your exam registration and the exam deregistration. At the beginning of your studies, you will receive an e-mail from the university with two iTAN numbers (to your university e-mail address). With the first number you generate a new iTAN list. With the second number you activate this iTAN list.

I’ve lost my iTAN-list. What shall I do?

You log in to LSF with your user name and password. Click on General Administration and on Request for a new iTAN list (in case of loss or blocking of the current iTAN list). Please read the help text carefully! It is best to copy and save it so you have it later. Click on Request new iTAN list.

Here is the help text again, in case you forgot to save it:

How to register for examinations?

Here you find tutorials for the registration and deregistration for examinations. (Unfortunately they’re only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

I want to deregister for examinations. How do I do that?

For exam deregistration, you must pay particular attention to the time of deregistration:

all students who are in the campus management system HiO: online deregistration possible up to 1 day before the examination

all students who are in the campus management system LSF-Study-Portal

    Up to 1day before the start of the exam period: you can deregister from the exam online.
    Up to 1 day before the examination date: Fill out the form Rücktritt von der Prüfung (without giving a reason) and drop it in the mailbox of the Service Point. The completed form must be at the Service Point no later than 1 day before the exam date. (Unfortunately the form is only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

Later withdrawal: In case of illness, please use the form "Formular für den Krankheitsnachweis (Ärtliches Attest)". For all other reasons, complete the Withdrawal from Examination form. You must provide a reason why you cannot attend the exam. This reason must not be your own fault. The examination board will review the request and decide whether a valid reason is recognized.

I’m sick at the exam date. What shall I do?

If you cannot write an exam because you are ill, you need a medical certificate. You fill in the upper part of the form for the Formulars für den Krankheitsnachweis (Ärtzliches Attest) für den Prüfling zur Vorlage im Prüfungsamt. (Unfortunately it’s only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
There you enter your contact information and which exams you cannot write. With this you will go to a doctor in your area. The doctor will then fill out the designated part of the form.

The medical certificate must contain a description of the health impairment (e.g. reference to certain pains) and also indicate the resulting impediment in the examination (e.g. disturbance of the ability to concentrate). In it, he or she explains why you cannot take the exam. With this medical certificate you automatically release the doctor from the medical confidentiality obligation. The doctor cannot invoke medical confidentiality.

It is very important that you drop the original certificate in the mailbox of the Service Point on the same day or the next day at the latest, or have a friend drop it off. If the attestation is submitted too late, contains errors in the description of the pathological impairments or compliance with the prescribed form, it is possible that it will not be recognized. This would mean that the exam would be considered taken and not passed.

The Board of Examiners will make a decision on the inability to take the examination based on the facts presented.

If you request an extension of the processing time of your thesis, an informal application and a justification, e.g. a medical certificate, must be submitted.

If the problem is a serious or prolonged illness, it is possible to apply for a withdrawal. In this case, an informal application and a medical certificate must be submitted. You can reach the medical officer during the examination period at the following telephone numbers:

Wismar: Tel.: 03841 3040 5301

Rostock: Tel.: 0381 381 5367

I want to write my master thesis. What shall I do?

First of all, you independently look for a topic and a supervisor for your thesis (e.g. a professor). This person is the first examiner. You can choose another teacher or a company supervisor as a second examiner if you are writing your thesis in a company, for example. However, the company supervisor must have at least a degree that corresponds to the degree you are aiming for with your thesis. This means that if you are writing your Bachelor's thesis, your company supervisor must have at least a Bachelor's degree. If you are writing a master's thesis, your supervisor must have at least a master's degree.

For admission, you must provide proof of a minimum number of credits. This varies depending on the course of study. The exact details can be found in the examination regulations for your degree program. (Unfortunately it’s only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

If you have a topic and a first and second examiner, you must submit an application for admission to the thesis, "Antrag auf Zulassung zur Abschlussarbeit".

You can also find the forms in house 1 at the service point (room 150). Fill out the application and take it to your first supervisor and have him/her sign it. Then drop the application in the mailbox of the Servicepoint.

You will receive a letter from the university informing you whether you have been accepted for the thesis. You must submit your thesis to the Service Point no later than the deadline. However, you can also submit it earlier. If you are unable to complete your thesis on time, you can submit an informal request for a one-time extension of the processing time. However, you should have a good reason why you could not finish the work in time. There is no specific form for this, that is why it is called an informal request. You simply follow the DIN 5008 standard for letters. You can find templates for this on the Internet. You must submit this application in good time before the deadline. The examination board will then decide whether your processing time will be extended.

Consulting services

Who can help me with problems in academic studies?

The project MEDUS (Mit Erfolg durchs Studium) supports foreign direct students in their studies and wants to contribute to the success of their studies. As part of the project, we offer tutorials in which the course material is repeated and help is provided with questions and problems.

Tutorials are also offered for some courses. The lecturer will point this out to you in the first session of a course. You can also enter "tutorial" in the course search on Stud.IP. There you will find all tutorials that are offered.

Of course, you can also ask your fellow students for help. For short technical questions that do not involve repeating the course material, you can also contact the lecturer. It is best to use the lecturers' office hours for this purpose.

I’ve some questions about study organization like registration of examination. Whom can I ask?

For these questions, the Servicepoint is the first point of contact for you. If you do not have time during the opening hours of the Service Point or if your request is very urgent, you can also call the staff member responsible for your study program at the Immatrikulations- und Prüfungsamts (Tel.:03841/ 7537503) or write an e-mail:


I need pro bono legal service. Whom can I ask?

There are two possibilities:

  • Student legal advice: business law students help you with legal problems. They’re instructed by lawyers.
  • Student services "Rechtsberatung des Studierendenwerks": Lawyers help you with legal problems.

(Unfortunately the information on the website is only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

I need psychological counseling (e. g. because of exam nerves). Who can help me?

Student services offer psychological counseling.

(Unfortunately the information on the website is only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

I’ve questions about health insurance. Whom can I ask?

A consultant of "Techniker Krankenkasse" is every Tuesday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on the campus (house 18).

Here you will find the corresponding QR code.

If you've got another health insurance please go to their office.

Who can advise me about internships and jobs in Germany?

The Robert-Schmidt-Institut at Wismar University of Applied Sciences works for the IQ-Netzwerk Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Among other things, it provides support in the search for an internship and the perfect application.

Further information on internships can also be obtained from the internship officers of the individual faculties.

Mr. José Miguel Flores V. also helps you to find internships and to apply for jobs.

General Questions

I’ve got a letter from “Beitragsservice von ARD, ZDF und Deutschlandradio”. What is this?

The letter is from public service broadcasting in Germany (ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio) and it’s about the licence fee. Everyone in Germany has to pay the licence fee. The licence fee is €17.50 per month and is only paid once per residence. So if you live in a flat share or in a flat in halls of residence with other students, you can share the fee with them. Only one person has to register and pay the fee.

If you receive BAföG,  you may be exempted from the licence fee upon application.

If you don’t pay the license fee, you’ll get a written warning. If you don’t pay the fee after this, it’s possible that your bank account will be frozen.

Click here for further information.


Is there a buddy program for international und german students at university of Wismar?

Yes, the buddy program is organized by AStA (students’ union executive committee). Visit “AStA Hochschule Wismar” on Facebook and tell them you want to be a buddy or write an e-mail to


I want to practice German or another language. Where can I do that?

In “Sprachcafé” every student can practice foreign languages. You can talk to German students and help them to speak your mother tongue better.

Join “Sprachcafe (HS Wismar)” on Facebook and get to know when the next event starts.

Where do I find news and events of the university?

On the website you find news and events in German. All information which is important for English students will be provided on Internationales.

Find your faculty news and events here:

Where do I find the menu of the canteen?

You find the menu here. Unfortunately it’s only available in German.



Haus 1 / Raum 150

Montag und Donnerstag 10:00 bis 15:00
Dienstag und Mittwoch 10:30 bis 13:00
Freitag geschlossen

Eine vorherige Terminbuchung ist vorteilhaft, um lange Wartezeiten zu vermeiden!

zur Terminbuchung »

Appointment booking for english speakers »

Tel. 03841 753-75 03

Kontaktformular Servicepoint »

Sollten Sie keine Möglichkeit haben in den Sprechzeiten vorbeizukommen, kontaktieren Sie uns rechtzeitig per Telefon zu den Servicezeiten oder über das Kontaktformular. Wir vereinbaren dann einen individuellen Termin mit Ihnen!