FAQs Exams

How can I download my exams extract (overview of marks)?

For students who have already been transitioned to the new campus management system HiO, performance summaries are available here.
Log in with your user name and password. In the menu item "My studies", go to "Study services". Here you will find all available certificates.

Students who are not yet in the new campus management system can find the performance overviews at LSF-Study-Portal.
Log in there with your user name and password. Click on "Exam administration" and then on "Exam certificates (performance overview - pdf for printing)". There you have different grade overviews to choose from, e.g. with additional texts or only for passed exams.

You can also download your study certificate as a PDF file here. You can also get the certificates at the Servicepoint. Study certificates from previous semesters are subject to a fee, so print out a certificate in reserve in the current semester as well.

Which university programmes are offered to international students?
  • Degree courses
  • Direct studies - our Bachelor's and Master's Degree courses
  • Studienkolleg – Foundation Course
  • University programmes for exchange students
  • International Class
  • German course
Do I have to register for examinations?

Yes. You must register for all exams you wish to write during the semester. If you do not register, you will not be allowed to write the exam. You can only register for exams within the exam registration period. This is announced by the university (e.g. via news on the homepage or as an e-mail to your university e-mail address).

Most students do their registration online at HiO-Portal.

There are only a few exceptions:
Students in some degree programs please register for exams at LSF-Study-Portal.

Students in the program "Communication Design and Media (Diploma)" as well as Design (Diploma) can register online at LSF during their undergraduate studies. In the main studies, however, the registration is done via the corresponding forms (house 1 room 150).

What is iTAN?

You need the iTAN (indexed transaction number) for your exam registration and the exam deregistration. At the beginning of your studies, you will receive an e-mail from the university with two iTAN numbers (to your university e-mail address). With the first number you generate a new iTAN list. With the second number you activate this iTAN list.

I’ve lost my iTAN-list. What shall I do?

You log in to LSF with your user name and password. Click on General Administration and on Request for a new iTAN list (in case of loss or blocking of the current iTAN list). Please read the help text carefully! It is best to copy and save it so you have it later. Click on Request new iTAN list.

Here is the help text again, in case you forgot to save it:

How to register for examinations?

Here you find tutorials for the registration and deregistration for examinations. (Unfortunately they’re only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

I want to deregister for examinations. How do I do that?

For exam deregistration, you must pay particular attention to the time of deregistration:

  • all students who are in the campus management system HiO: online deregistration possible up to 1 day before the examination
  • all students who are in the campus management system LSF-Study-Portal 
    Up to 1day before the start of the exam period: you can deregister from the exam online.
    Up to 1 day before the examination date: Fill out the form Rücktritt von der Prüfung (without giving a reason) and drop it in the mailbox of the Service Point. The completed form must be at the Service Point no later than 1 day before the exam date. (Unfortunately the form is only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

Later withdrawal: In case of illness, please use the form "Formular für den Krankheitsnachweis (Ärtliches Attest)". For all other reasons, complete the Withdrawal from Examination form. You must provide a reason why you cannot attend the exam. This reason must not be your own fault. The examination board will review the request and decide whether a valid reason is recognized.

I’m sick at the exam date. What shall I do?

If you cannot write an exam because you are ill, you need a medical certificate. You fill in the upper part of the form for the Formulars für den Krankheitsnachweis (Ärtzliches Attest) für den Prüfling zur Vorlage im Prüfungsamt. (Unfortunately it’s only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
There you enter your contact information and which exams you cannot write. With this you will go to a doctor in your area. The doctor will then fill out the designated part of the form.

The medical certificate must contain a description of the health impairment (e.g. reference to certain pains) and also indicate the resulting impediment in the examination (e.g. disturbance of the ability to concentrate). In it, he or she explains why you cannot take the exam. With this medical certificate you automatically release the doctor from the medical confidentiality obligation. The doctor cannot invoke medical confidentiality.

It is very important that you drop the original certificate in the mailbox of the Service Point on the same day or the next day at the latest, or have a friend drop it off. If the attestation is submitted too late, contains errors in the description of the pathological impairments or compliance with the prescribed form, it is possible that it will not be recognized. This would mean that the exam would be considered taken and not passed.

The Board of Examiners will make a decision on the inability to take the examination based on the facts presented.

If you request an extension of the processing time of your thesis, an informal application and a justification, e.g. a medical certificate, must be submitted.

If the problem is a serious or prolonged illness, it is possible to apply for a withdrawal. In this case, an informal application and a medical certificate must be submitted. You can reach the medical officer during the examination period at the following telephone numbers:

Wismar: Tel.: 03841 3040 5301

Rostock: Tel.: 0381 381 5367

I want to write my master thesis. What shall I do?

First of all, you independently look for a topic and a supervisor for your thesis (e.g. a professor). This person is the first examiner. You can choose another teacher or a company supervisor as a second examiner if you are writing your thesis in a company, for example. However, the company supervisor must have at least a degree that corresponds to the degree you are aiming for with your thesis. This means that if you are writing your Bachelor's thesis, your company supervisor must have at least a Bachelor's degree. If you are writing a master's thesis, your supervisor must have at least a master's degree.

For admission, you must provide proof of a minimum number of credits. This varies depending on the course of study. The exact details can be found in the examination regulations for your degree program. (Unfortunately it’s only available in German. If you need any help please don’t hesitate to contact us.)

If you have a topic and a first and second examiner, you must submit an application for admission to the thesis, "Antrag auf Zulassung zur Abschlussarbeit".

You can also find the forms in house 1 at the service point (room 150). Fill out the application and take it to your first supervisor and have him/her sign it. Then drop the application in the mailbox of the Servicepoint.

You will receive a letter from the university informing you whether you have been accepted for the thesis. You must submit your thesis to the Service Point no later than the deadline. However, you can also submit it earlier. If you are unable to complete your thesis on time, you can submit an informal request for a one-time extension of the processing time. However, you should have a good reason why you could not finish the work in time. There is no specific form for this, that is why it is called an informal request. You simply follow the DIN 5008 standard for letters. You can find templates for this on the Internet. You must submit this application in good time before the deadline. The examination board will then decide whether your processing time will be extended.