Degree Courses taught in English
The eight degree courses you see below are on offer to both local and foreign students who speak English fluently and meet the other admission requirements. Each degree has its own admission requirements that you are invited to read through by following the links. In addition, if you are a foreign student you may want to know the special advantages that Wismar has for you. Please look below to learn more!
The Master Degree Course Architecture is designed to deepen the skills acquired in the Bachelor’s degree course and to set a focus for individual professional aptitudes. It has a modular organization and is project-oriented. The Course in is very internationally focused, the lectures are offered in German as well as in English language.
To be considered for admission, a candidate must submit proof of the following qualifications
- Official, certified copy of original Bachelor Degree Certificate in the field of architecture, including a transcript of records of all semesters together with its certified translation into English or German. The grade point average must be at least 2,3 or better on the German scale.
- Motivation letter, CV and a portfolio of previous work
- Proof of sufficient command of German language (not necessary, only for study in German language) or proof of sufficient command of English knowledge (TOEFL 550 or IELTS
Admissions to this degree course are carried out by means of a selection procedure. This is based on a written application to be enclosed with the application for admission. Application deadline is 15th January for the summer term and 15th July for the winter term.
Architectural Lighting Design, Master
Graduates holding a Bachelor of Arts degree, or a traditional German degree in engineering from a university of applied sciences or university (Diplom Ing. (FH) or Diplom Ing. respectively) in architecture, interior design or a related degree course of a national or international university. Students must demonstrate their command of the English language by means of an appropriate certificate (e.g. TOEFL) as the course is predominantly held in English.
Admissions to this degree course are carried out by means of a selection procedure. This is based on a written application to be enclosed with the application for admission. Applicants may be invited to attend an interview as part of this selection procedure. Closing date for application: 1st May of the current year.
Business Systems, Master, Distance study
To be admitted to the distance learning Master Business Systems programme, two requirements are to be fulfilled:
- University degree (Bachelor, Master, Diploma (FH), Diploma) obtained from a national or international university (first degree in the area of business or economic sciences), as well as
- Minimum of one year’s relevant professional work experience * after the first professional qualification
- Applicants whose native language is not English have to
demonstrate, through appropriate documentation, that they can complete their studies in English
* Students with a 6-semester graduate degree, with a total of 180 ECTS points must also proof 1.5 years (total of 2.5 years) of relevant professional work experience.
We are happy to examine your individual admission application in terms of the background of your personal situation.
International Management, Master
To be considered for admission to the Master’s programme in International Management, a candidate must submit proof of the following qualifications;
•a sufficient and proven command of English (at least 80 points in the internet-based TOEFL test or the equivalent of 6.0 in the IETS),
•a recognized first degree in commerce, engineering, architecture or related subjects, and
•a final average mark in the degree awarded equivalent to at least 2,3 on the German scale.
As a rule, the first degree must also contain the equivalent of 210 European Credit Transfer Points (ECTS). Candidates with less than 210 but at least 180 ECTS may enter pre-Master’s programme held in English at the University of Wismar to make up the missing credits. Other special conditions may apply to graduates of degree courses not listed above and to graduates with an average mark below 2,3 but at least equal to 2,5. In such cases details are given by the International Office.
Lighting Design, Master, Distance Study
The professional Master in Architectural Lighting and Design Management is a further education programme. To be admitted into our programme you need to meet the following requirements:
- academic degree (Bachelor, Master, Diploma) in a related field of study (architecture, interior design, design or electrical engineering) obtained from a national or international university, and
- at least one year of professional work experience within the related field after completing your first academic degree
If the first academic degree is not related to the field of study, the approval to study can only be given with proof of professional work experience.
Please contact us to discuss the admission requirements related to your personal situation in detail.
Marine Engineering, bi-national German-Indonesian Bachelor course, Bachelor, dual
Students of the Bachelor’s degree course “Marine Engineering” are enrolled at the University of Wismar and at the Institute Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) in
Surabaya, Indonesia. The teaching sessions are held at the ITS. Graduates of the course will be awarded the degree “Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.)”.
The admission requirements in accordance with Articles 17 to 19 of Landeshochschulgesetz Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Regional University Act) must be fulfilled in order to be admitted to the course:
- Higher education entrance qualification for universities and universities of applied sciences or
- verification of another qualification acknowledged as being equivalent in the Federal State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern or
- passing an entrance examination after completing a period of vocational training, followed by at least three years of working in the profession
- passing an entrance examination after completing at least five years of working in the profession (for applicants without a higher education entrance qualification for universities and universities of applied sciences) or
- passing an examination to complete an advanced training course to become a master craftsman/craftswoman in accordance with Berufsbildungsgesetz (German Vocational Training Act) or Handwerksordnung (German Skilled Trades Regulation Act), as amended from time to time, in a subject area appropriate to the intended course of study.
In addition, the admission requirements in accordance with the Indonesian Universities Act must be met. Credits from periods of study, course achievements and examinations can be transferred. The Board of Examiners will decide on the possibility of the transfer of such credits on a case-to-case basis.
Operation and Management of Maritime Systems, Master
- Successful completion of an initial course of study providing professional qualifications (Bachelor’s degree, a German “Diplom” or comparable) of a German or foreign institute of higher education in economics or engineering-related subjects with at least 210 credits.
- If proof of the 210 credits cannot be furnished, application can be made to allow an additional, relevant period of practical working experience of 1 ½ years (in full-time employment) or 3 years (in part-time employment) to be counted towards these credits, whereby the maximum of 30 credits can be transferred.
- The overall mark shown on the certificate verifying successful completion of this course of study must be at least 2.5. If this overall mark is not achieved, a minimum of two engineering modules or the final paper must have been awarded a mark of 2.0 or higher.
- Students will not be admitted to the course of study if the overall mark is 3.0 or lower.
- In individual cases, a decision will be taken in this matter by the Board of Examiners, although this shall remain an exception.
Maritime Logistics/Port Management online, Bachelor, Distance study
Admission to the online Maritime Logistics and Port Management bachelor’s degree course requires the following:
A university entrance qualification, which can be
› Direct access
- Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE)
- Cambridge Pre-U
- General Certificate of Education - Advanced Level / Advanced Subsidiary Level
- International Advanced Level
- Scottish Qualifications Certificate (SQC)
› Competence in English. Applicants whose native language is not English have to demonstrate, through appropriate documentation, that they can complete this course. For example: a TOEFL test with minimum certification of level B2.
We are one of Germany’s leading Universities of Applied Sciences, with a 30-year tradition of welcoming students from other countries to our campus and to our part-time and distance learning programmes. If you come to study with us, you will find:
- A highly academically ranked public, non-profit university
- We have 8 000 students but small, personal classes
- A special programme of studies in English for students on exchange from their home universities
- Six degree courses entirely in English
- An excellent student support and guidance system
- State-of-the-art facilities and a modern campus setting
- Priority and affordable student residences for international students
- A family-friendly campus
- City life with easy access to the great outdoors at the Baltic coast
- Easy access to the Berlin and Hamburg metropolises.