Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

How can I get a grant from the Corona Emergency Aid Fund of the Studierendenwerk?

As of 15 April 2020, students of our university who are facing financial difficulty due to the corona crisis can apply for a grant from the Corona Emergency Aid Fund of the Studierendenwerk Rostock-Wismar. Many students may find themselves in sudden financial hardship - especially foreign students who are not entitled to BAföG and for whom a visa extension is necessary.

The grant can amount to 200 euros per month.

In addition to the application form, the Studierendenwerk has also provided an information sheet. (Files to be found on this website)

Other useful schemes for financial support include:

  • interest-free loans,
  • expansion of BAföG rules
  • extensions regarding the standard period of study,
  • Hartz IV entitlement.
Can I apply for financial aid if I have come to Wismar as an international student?

Since 4 May 2020, funds amounting to Euro 45,000 are available from our university’s International Office. These have been provided by the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture M-V, as a tool to support international students in need of financial aid due to the corona crisis, specifically those who

  • are not entitled to BAföG
  • and/or are not able to make a living otherwise.

Grants are paid for a maximum of 3 months.

International students who are in need through no fault of their own should send their application to the International Office.

more »

Will BAföG payments continue during the Corona pandemic?

The Studierendenwerk Rostock-Wismar, which is responsible for our university, has collected the most important questions and answers concerning BAföG & Corona and has made them available on an FAQ website,
which is available both in German:
and in

Among other things, questions regarding the effect of failed examinations on BAföG funding are addressed. The most important thing first, though, namely good news from the Studierendenwerk:
"The current corona crisis will have no negative impact on BAföG funding."


My internship has been cancelled – who can help me now?

There is a new section on the bulletin board in Stud-IP now: "offer internship". There you can find all current internship positions.
We also offer you individual counseling and portfolio checks for your application in the RSI Career Service.

You can find more information about internships on the Career Services’ website, on Facebook and on StudIP.

I am a student assistant. Can I come to the office?

Like all university employees, student assistants are allowed to use the offices. However, you should first contact your supervisor by telephone or e-mail.
Please note that you are not allowed to enter other premises than your office.

Contact for students


03841 753-75 03

central contact

International Office
Tue and Thu
10:00 – 13:00

Faculties’ Administration Offices

by phone Mon to Fri

Engineering Sciences: 
10:00 – 13:00
03842 753-72 84
Business School:
7:30 – 16:00
03842 753-74 68
Architecture and Design:
10:00 – 13:00
03841 753-71 95