Virtual Computers (FIW)
The faculty makes virtual computers available to all members via the VMWare Horizon platform. This gives you access from anywhere to Windows 10 desktops that already have the licensed software you need for your area.
Your benefits when using Horizon View:
- Access to desktops within the faculty from anywhere (pool computers, own workstations)
- the desktops are already equipped with the usual software used in your area (BIW, EUI, MVU, SF)
- the desktops are maintained by FIW-IT (e.g. current Windows updates)
- Access to all internal resources (e.g. file shares)
- no VPN connection necessary
- automatic data backup and hourly snapshots when using the faculty's internal resources
VMWare Horizon enables remote access (remote desktop) to virtual and physical desktops. For example, you can use virtual machines of the faculty and also your PC in the office from a distance as if you were sitting directly in front of them.
- MS Office 2016
- Visual Studio 2017
- Mathcad Pro V8
- Cypress PSoc Programmer, Creator, Editor
- Visual DSP
- Eagle Autodesk
- Linear Technology - LTSpice
- JetBrains IntelliJ IDE
- Digital Simulator
- ISE Design Suite
- OrCAD PSpice
- Android development environments
- MS Office 2016
- Comsol Multiphysics
- Lego Mindstorms
Horizon View also offers the possibility to start a remote desktop session without installed software directly from a current browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera). This means that you have full access to all resources even from another computer (e.g. internet cafe, airport).
Access via mobile devices (e.g. iPad, tablets) is also possible. Use a docking station to turn your phone into a powerful desktop.
You can download the current version for all current operating systems (Windows, Linux, MacOS X, Android, iOS) from the following link:
VMware Horizon Client
After the installation is complete, a new connection server must be specified first.
- vdi.fiwi.hs-wismar.de The standard view connection server is the internal connection server, which is the preferred for work from the faculty's internal networks.
- vdi-sec.fiw.hs-wismar.de The View Security Connection Server is an additional external connection server which allows you to access your virtual machines from external areas (e.g. from the WLAN of the university or from on the road / at home).
In the example shown here, the internal connection server is used.
Once the connection server has been successfully created, click on "Connect" and enter your ITSMZ (formerly Data Center) user data in the following window. The domain "HSW" must be selected as the domain.
You will now see a list of desktop sources shared with you. You can now continue working with these as usual.
Horizon Web Access
Horizon Client Android
Horizon Client iOS
If you are experiencing connection problems from the residential homes (Bürgermeister-Hauptstr. and Friedrich-Wolf-Str) please try to connect to our virtual computers through our VPN Network which is bypassing the slow Cisco VPN.